Saturday, November 10, 2012

New Year's Eve Party Invitations using WOW Embossing Powders

Hello, friends! Happy Saturday to you! I hope that by now you're giving some serious thought to planning your holiday-themed projects. Every year, the big 3 (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) creep up on me and I always have to rush around to complete my craft projects in time for gift giving, party planning or what have you. Well, when my WOW team leader, Jen, asked us to use non-traditional colors to create holiday projects, I felt a little trepidation because I am a confessed traditionalist when it comes to holidays, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. My family grew up with traditions passed down from relatives who are no longer with us and we added a couple of our own to the mix as well.  Jen also asked for a volunteer to tackle New Year's Eve party invitations and after thinking about that for a split second, I jumped at the chance! That would allow me to comply with the assigned theme without forcing me too far outside my comfort zone with regards to traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas fare! So I set about the task of choosing a non-traditional color palette with the aide of some suggestions from Jen.  I chose yellow, grey and white but I added a couple of other colors (silver and black) to the mix and came up with what I think is a pretty cute design for my hand crafted invitations.  See what you think. I'll even give you the basic instructions for making your own invitations just like them.


The cards are 6" square and made from DCWV Shimmer cardstock in a silver/pewter shade. The papers are from DCWV's Lemon Flower stack and the digi stamp, by Kenny K, is called Happy Hour which is available for purchase here. I hand colored the image with Copic markers and used my WOW Embossing pen and Metallic Platinum Sparkle to create the glittery effect on her polka dotted dress and Neutral Ultra Shimmer and Clear Gloss Regular for her martini glass. Then I colored her beads with silver gel pen and attached tiny rhinestones for her pendant and earring.


It wasn't easy coloring 5 identical characters but I think they are close enough that one would have to study pretty closely them to see the variations between them.


I found the cute little placards in the do-it-yourself invitation section at Michael's but they would be fairly easy to create with a die or die cut machine and coordinating patterned paper to match your own design in any color. I used a generic stamp and Metallic Silver Regular on the "Please Join Us" and "Kiss at Midnight" and "2012" are stickers. I used a black gel pen to print "for a" because I had no stamps to use for that part. I thought it would be fun to give my soiree a title that I can use each year and when I found the New Years sticker set, I knew Kiss At Midnight would be perfect! Isn't it nice with things just seem to fall together so easily?


In keeping with my tendency toward the traditional, I included a large clock in my design made from Tim Holtz's Sizzix Bigz die called "Weathered Clock" that I embossed with WOW Black Glint powder.  I traced the outline of the clock on cream cardstock and cut just inside the lines to make the background and then distressed it and stamped and colored the center design where I would be attaching the hands. The banner and party details are embossed with Metallic Silver Regular  and outlined with silver gel pen. I added rhinestone accents at each hour on the clock to give it a bit of bling. After all, New Years is all about glitz and glam, right?


I added a bow of black grosgrain ribbon with silver star buttons attached with sparkly silver cording as a finishing touch. I have included several close-ups to show the details more clearly.




Sooooo... are you ready to tackle your own set of party invitations now?  I encourage you to try it.  Once you get on a roll and get a rhythm established it really doesn't take that long to do.... unless you're inviting a large number of guests, that is! LOL 

Please stop by the WOW Blog to see the other non-traditional holiday projects created by my teammates.  I'm sure there is something there to inspire you even if you aren't up for making invitations. That's it for today but I'll be back tomorrow with another new project for Kenny K's Krafty Krew so I hope to see you then. 

I am entering these cards into the following challenges:

One Stop Craft Challenge - Anything Goes
Sweet Stampin' Challenge - Anything Goes
Fat Pages and Cards - #26 Anything Goes
Pause, Dream, Enjoy - #45 - Food & Beverage

Happy crafting!
Annibee

7 comments:

  1. oh my...wonderful project..your colouring is still amazing...love them and your blog looks so fun...tfs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I raise my glass to your glass in toast. I especially like the Tim Holtz Clock. Thanks for entering Pause Dream Enjoy Food & Beverage challenge.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    PDE DT Group B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... These are just wonderful! I wanna come to your parties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annibee - oh my these are just wonderful!! Your colouring is perfect and I love all the different embossing!

    Thanks for joining in with us this week at Sweet Stampin.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic. Great idea.

    Thanks for joining in at OSCC this week.

    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome! Love them!
    Thanks for sharing at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these are stunning Anniebee, love your cards and fabulous image :) Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin this week and good luck xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say so feel free to leave a comment.