Saturday, July 7, 2012

7 Girls and a Smoking Gun Team post at WOW Embossing Powders blog

Whew! What a title, huh?  Well, the WOW design team is quite large and as such, it's broken down into smaller groups of 6 or 7 designers.  My group was originally called 6 Girls and a Smoking Gun but we recently added a new team member, Donna O'Leary, so of course our name had to change to include her. Each Saturday one of the teams is showcased on the WOW blog and this is our week.

Please visit the WOW blog to see the lovely projects my talented heat-gun-toting teammates have created.  Here is my project. I have included lots of pictures to show all the detail of this little balsa wood box.


First thing I did was to cover the outside of the box with patterned paper from K and Company.  I used Mod Podge for this purpose.  As the paper is a heavy grade, I gave the box a couple of generous coats of the adhesive and also brushed it onto the paper itself so it would bond well to the wood surface and not peel off or bubble up when the box is opened.


After allowing it to dry completely overnight, I sanded the edges with my Tim Holtz distress sander to smooth them and get rid of any overhanging paper. I braided 3 lengths of gold elastic cording together to loop over the button closure.


The crocheted and Venice lace were glued to the underside of the flap  and the fancy trim on the topside using Aleene's Quick Grab Tacky Glue. the self adhesive flat-back pearl strip was then added .


I used 3 kinds of ribbons - a very narrow pink satin, a 1/4" cream organza and the 3/4" black and white stripe, with which I made 2 separate bows and tied them together with a 6" length of the striped ribbon.  This multi-strand bow was attached to the flap with Beacon 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue.  I also used the Beacon glue to adhere the rose on top of the bow. The leaves were coated with Versamark and embossed with Metalline Green powder.


The flowers started as white mulberry paper by Recollections that I colored with Copics to coordinate with my color scheme and added flat-back pearls for centers. The butterfly was punched from a piece of patterned paper and the edges embossed with WOW Bubble Gum embossing powder. 


This flourish, which I stamped and embossed with Primary Ebony powder prior to covering the box added the perfect feminine element to the design. I added a few heat set crystals to the curlicues using my i-Rock.


I removed the button from the flap and coated it with Primary Ebony powder and heated it with my heat gun then stamped the little daisy in Versamark and embossed it in Metallic Gold Rich Pale Regular powder.  I added a rhinestone for the center.  Finally, I used E6000 adhesive to attach the typewriter key letters, spelling the word "LOVE" on the flap.

I hope you like my little box.  It's approximately 6" long and is the perfect size to hold a pair of those small reading glasses and sit on a bedside or end table.  Don't forget to see all the beautiful home decor items created by my teammates on the WOW blog.

That's all I have for you today. Thanks so much for stopping by. As always, your comments are welcomed and appreciated.  Until next time...

Happy crafting!
Anniebee

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW!! This is just stunning, what a gorgeous piece of work. Thanks for sharing it.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say so feel free to leave a comment.